We are a christian homeschooling family of 4, living the farm life in north central Alabama. rWe are trying to live as simply and purposely as possible. Follow along as we pilgrim along this wonderful life!

Monday, August 5, 2013

August beginnings

Can you believe August is here already? This has been one odd summer for us here in the south. We've had some hot days and the humidity seems to be lower than usual for this time of year. It's not unusual to go outside and break out into a sweat just by breathing. It's been almost pleasant much of the time, but I have been inside more than usual.

I have been canning a lot! Tomatoes, relishes, jams....... the yummy list just seems to go on and on, and I'm not done yet! Green Beans should be coming in this week so I will work on finishing up the three boxes of tomatoes I have yet to finish! And I need to finish up the apples too!

We've had 2 litters of rabbits born so far this summer. I can't believe I haven't posted about them yet! It's been a great experience so far. I do believe rabbits is one of the easiest animals to add to your homestead and to take care of. They are really cute too. I try not to notice the "cuteness" since it will make it harder to do the butchering that will inevitably take place in just a few short weeks. I haven't tasted rabbit since I was very young, so I will be posting on the rabbit tasting and some recipes I have tagged to try.

We also got our very first milk cow! She is Jersey/Guernsey mix and has the trademark "heart" on her forehead. She is beautiful! She is a little on the "wild" side and we have been taming her up some, but it's going to take more work. She will definitely need to be in a head catch to milk her, but hopefully after some time and building up of trust, we won't have a need for that. I believe she will be calving around the first of April, but we will see. What a wonderful time of the year to have a new calf!

Missy, our doe, sure is getting big! We are hoping she is pregnant. It will have to happen in the next 4-6 weeks though if she is. It only takes 5 months for a goat to have her baby, and since we got her at the end of April, this seems like the logical time frame for her to give birth. Mr. Darcy, our buck is getting big. He is so cute. He is the friendliest goat I believe I have ever had! Missy can be quite standoffish, but he is all out, all the time!

Well, I wanted to post all these cute pictures I've been snapping up, but I'm having some technical difficulties, so I will save for later!

God bless you in your life adventures!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment